Who we are today stems from where we started. The history of our schools is rich in faith, hope and community and those traits are still some of our most prized attributes.
Based on the vision of Dr. David and Katherine Friesen, in 1980 a small group of respected leaders from the Mennonite community explored the viability of starting an independent Mennonite elementary school in Winnipeg.
In 1981, Winnipeg Mennonite Elementary Schools opened its doors in a rented wing of Lansdowne School with an enrolment of 48 students. Its purpose was to provide an example of how God should be included in everyday school life and how faith could be nurtured within a school setting. It invited students from all walks of life, backgrounds, denominational affiliations, academic and social abilities to join.
Over the years, interest and enrolment in the school has continued to grow due in part to the sense of community built through the school population. The St.James school moved into it’s own building, and a second campus was added in Ft. Garry to service the growing number of students coming from all over the city.
The Bedson Campus in St.James includes a Christian Early Learning Centre, Elementary School and Middle School, serving grades K-8. Contact our Bedson Campus at 204-885-1032.
The Katherine Friesen Campus in Ft.Garry houses an Elementary School that serves grades K-6. Contact our Katherine Friesen Campus at 204-261-9637.